Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Leo

Last night we couldn't find Leo.
He goes outside often, but always comes to the screen door to be let back in.
He usually comes when called.  Not quickly, but reliably.  

We called and called at 11:00pm and no answer.  No sight of him, even.  Usually when he is called, we can see him just beyond the fence, not wanting to come in yet, but allowing us to see that he is fine, and close.  

But nothing.
We called again at 12:00am and no answer.  No sign of him.

The Pope had to go to bed, but I stayed out in the living room, calling every 10 minutes until I went to bed at 2:00am.  I had trouble falling asleep, I was worrying.

I left the door open all night, hoping he would return.
Early this morning, the Pope opened the door to the garage to leave for his 7am dentist appointment.  

In comes Leo, protesting about the night spent in our hot, boxy garage.

His plaintive wail woke me immediately.  

The thought of this good boy being missing, or gone, devastated me.  

Welcome back, Leo!!  You will never know how much you would be missed if something happened to you, but I promise a lot of catnip tonight to make up for Dad locking you in the garage.  You know he didn't do it on purpose.


No comments: