Friday, January 04, 2008

oooh, a music Meme!

Thanks to Jonathan:

Rules...
1. Put your iTunes on Shuffle
2. For each question, press the next button to get your answer
3. You must write down that song name no matter what

Results...

Q. What would best describe your personality?
A. ONE - U2
Wow. A favorite. A favored, favored, heart favorite. I have always been enthralled with the vulnerability, self-doubt and strength in this song. At least that's what I've always heard in it.

Q. If someone says it's okay you say:
A. Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
Hmm. There's a bunch of songs on here from these DVDs a friends was passing around full of pirated music. This isn't a song I put on my iTunes because I loved it. But I do like Norah Jones. I would say that this could be relevant because if someone tells me it's okay and it clearly isn't....I would help them anyway I could. I can't stand to see someone hurt or hurting. I have to try and help.

Q. What do you like in a (girl) GUY? (I had to change gender to be relevant to me)
A. Rewind - Paolo Nutini
Something that sparks me. I like the flames, I like the flood, I like the passion. He sings, why can't we just rewind, why can't we just rewind, why can't we just rewind? And I know what he means. I always want it to be like it first was....I always want the fire. I like a guy that keeps that alive for me. Thank you, Pope. You're the only one that ever has.

Q. How do you feel today?
A. I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself - White Stripes
HOW PERFECT IS THAT? Rock on. I have an achy sinus thing going on, but a lot to do and that frenetic energy that comes when you are at the last countdown of a deadline. I'll be working all weekend, and I'm prepared for it. I expect some greatness. Unless I develop a full blown cold, which is seeming ever more likely. I'm doped to the gills on cold medicine, though.

Q. What is your life's purpose? (Dude. This is pretty heavy stuff for my music collection.)
A. I Know I Know I Know - Tegan & Sara
To write like these women, sisters from Canada. I'm floored, I'm flattened into the cracks of the earth when I hear them. I want to write things that resonate instantly with people, like their words do to me.

Q. What is your motto?
A. King of Pain - The Police
Woah. It is my destiny to be the King of Pain. So interesting. I saw The Police in concert in Seattle from box seats (in one of the luckiest episodes of my young life). I was breathlessly waiting for this song, which is my favorite, has been since I was a little kid. When I was a teenager I would make up words to this melody and make my cousins laugh. I would definitely say I carry a lot of pain, and choose to inflict it upon myself if my well runs dry. I'm more comfortable in a realm of hurt than of health. Makes no sense, and I should probably go to therapy, but there you have it.
-What am I saying, Probably go to Therapy? You all read my blog, you KNOW I need therapy.
(p.s. I have been to anger management and it was totally bullshit.)

Q. What do your friends think of you?
A. Coconut Skins - Damien Rice
Boy I have no idea on this one. I love Damien Rice, but this album (9) has not caught me. This is probably only the 2nd time I've heard this song.

Q. What do you think of your friends?
A. In Da Club - 50 Cent
Erm, yeah. I guess, you know, you guys can find me in the club. Judging from this, I am an arrogant sonofabitch with an EXQUISITE hook. I can't help but feel like a badass when I sing this song alone in my affluent white woman car. I also love to dance to it, completely without rhythm, in da club, when I'm hammered.

Q. What do you think of your parents?
A. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
I can't even begin to describe the complex emotions that thinking about this question and then hearing this song come on has evoked. You can't put me in your penthouse, my future lies beyond the yellow brick road....I feel like I've accomplished a lot, and mostly to show them that I could. I'm not as happy with all of these things as I thought I would be. I was happier doing a lot of writing, wearing thrift clothes and LIVING more.

Q. What do your parents think of you?
A. Screenwriters Blues - Soul Coughing
Whatever they think of me it has never sounded like this.
This song points out the soulless nature of Los Angeles, and I guess maybe that fits. They never held much esteem for the things I wanted to do with my life. They still don't, but tolerate me talking about it now, because I did everything they wanted me to. First.

Q. What do you think about very often?
A. Doin' Time - Sublime
Hahaha. This is a fun meme. Sublime makes me happy, makes me move and makes me think. Right now I think about work very often. Does not relate to this song. I think about Finny a lot. Thinking about the Pope happens everytime a synapse fires. I think about everything all the time. Which is why I can't sleep, smoke, drink too much (though not at the moment) and generally explains almost everything that you read here.

Q. What do you think of your best friends?
A. Freakshow - Ani DiFranco
Don't be offended. Listen: "Life in the circus ain't easy. But the folks on the outside don't know. The tent goes up and the tent comes down and all that they see is the show --Life under the big top is about freedom, is about faking, there's an art to the laughter there's a SCIENCE. And there's a lot of love and compliance -- we can make something bigger than any one of us alone." Perfect song.

Q. What do you think of the person you love?
A. Hype - Tegan & Sara
This song at once encapsulates knowledge, guts, power, faith, sensitivity and strength.
Excellent way to describe what I think the Pope is capable of.

Q. What is your life story?
A. Common People - Pulp
Okay, forget the lyrics on this one. Listen to the music. Go along with it, be drawn by it and when the music swells to the crescendo, go there too. Be at the zenith of how that makes you feel, do everything you can do to feel that way - to think like this, to live a life that rises up and swells like a soundtrack, like an ocean around you. THAT is my life story.

Q. What do you want to be when you grow up?
A. What Goes Around.... - Justin Timberlake
Hmmm. So I want to be a cheater, or the talented recipient of same? Not applicable.
So I'll just tell you. I want to be a working actor or a writer. Or I want to own a pub. I want to water my many plants, laugh with my many children and have wrinkles from smiling. I want to be free and I want to be happy and I want to be at peace. (and I'd like to be thin with naturally curly hair and big boobs, while I'm at it.)

Q. What do you think when you see the person you love?
A. Lola - The Kinks
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. The pope is undeniably a real man, over 6' tall and handsome. But the sight of him makes me weak in the knees and has since the first time I met him.

Q. What is your hobby/interest?
A. By Your Side - Sade
Well.....maybe not so much.

Q. What will they play at your funeral?
A. Puttin' on the Ritz - Taco
FANTASTIC! I'll make a note to have everyone wear white gloves.

Q. What is your biggest secret?
A. Proud Mary - Ike and Tina Turner
Hmmm. Which part, though? Cleaning the plates or popping the tang?
On a cross-country drive, alone, with broken A/C in mid-summer, I BECAME Tina Turner, singing this song at the top of my lungs, over and over, through Nebraska going 90mph. That was fucking awesome.

And we're done.






3 comments:

Julie said...

These are fun! I've played this game in the car with a friend... Make stuff up like, "The next song will be about your love life or The next song will be about your relationship with your brother." Try it.

Come on over to my blog, I've written TWO posts!! I know, you're so proud, huh? LOL.

Jonathan Beckett said...

This meme is totally out of control :) It's ripping across the blogs at the moment lol

Julie said...

If you'd bookmarked me, just letting you know that I've changed my URL for a *bit* of anonymity going forward.